I did my homework: compared to usual annotation tags bbcode forums have, ruby/furigana:
* resolves completely client-side
* gracefully degrades to inline display
* is well-supported standard
* is more accessible than eg.: "spoiler" tags that need clicking
* works in flat render modes (print preview, RSS, etc)
I've assembled a generic-purpose case to add ruby support:
Also I've started a discussion thread in r/AO3 on the subject:
, discussion on which seems to suggest furigana is "planned, but for when a major rewrite is done".
Good news: PokéCommunity has added a [ruby] tag to their BBCode today. 😀
Medium-Good news: WAAPT Forum also has it. Since I'm an op there, I can't really count it as a win *from* the case.
Medium-Bad news: AO3 says they would consider it... in the Blue Moon when they do a "sanitizer overhaul", which I think reasonably means "we want to but we don't know when"? Kinda like how I want to go vacations at Llaima...