Beach town had the monster store guy & I scored a Bokoblin hat!! Can't wait to test it out and see if it makes murdering them easier
❝Since her death in 1979, the woman who discovered what the universe is made of has not so much as received a memorial plaque. Her newspaper obituaries do not mention her greatest discovery. […] Every high school student knows that Isaac Newton discovered gravity, that Charles Darwin discovered evolution, and that Albert Einstein discovered the relativity of time. But when it comes to the composition of our universe, the textbooks simply say that the most abundant atom in the universe is hydrogen. And no one ever wonders how we know.❞ — Jeremy Knowles, discussing the complete lack of recognition Cecilia Payne gets, even today, for her revolutionary discovery. (via alliterate)
OH WAIT LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT CECILIA PAYNE
• Cecilia Payne won a scholarship to Cambridge.
• Cecilia Payne completed her studies, but Cambridge wouldn’t give her a degree because she was a woman, so she said to heck with that and moved to the United States to work at Harvard.
• Cecilia Payne was the first person ever to earn a Ph.D. in astronomy from Radcliffe College, with what Otto Strauve called “the most brilliant Ph.D. thesis ever written in astronomy.”
• Not only did Cecilia Payne discover what the universe is made of, she also discovered what the sun is made of (Henry Norris Russell, a fellow astronomer, is usually given credit for discovering that the sun’s composition is different from the Earth’s, but he came to his conclusions four years later than Payne — after telling her not to publish).
• Cecilia Payne is the reason we know basically anything about variable stars (stars whose brightness as seen from earth fluctuates). Literally every other study on variable stars is based on her work.
• Cecilia Payne was the first woman to be promoted to full professor from within Harvard and the first woman to head a science department at Harvard. She also inspired entire generations of women to take up science.
• Cecilia Payne is awesome and everyone should know her.
at least it's free -_-
on the one hand, watching webinars at your own leisure is cool. One the other hand, I don't think this you can call this a conference if there's no actual conferring with anyone
and all the webinars will be available after the conference weekend, too, so you don't even have to bother watching anything right away
Decided to backtrack and wander through Rabia Plains/Lanaryu Heights to look for new mushrooms & those floating seed babies. Ran into a cult member who I SWEAR I already killed days ago?? Do they come back after a red moon?
I am IN THE ELEPHANT about to do a boss battle. I've noticed that I get way more nervous about fights than I do in other Zelda games, partly because of the realistic art but also the camera position/POV.
Like, if it was a FPS-style camera I think I'd be okay, but watching Link get squished by a monster looming over him is just upsetting. #botw
photo of chocolate bar 🍫
Found this Tony’s Chocolonely at Grocery Outlet! 😍
UK Supreme Court says Uber drivers are not independent contractors
"The Supreme Court of the United Kingdom has ruled that Uber drivers are legally workers, not self-employed contractors as Uber has argued in courts around the world. The ruling means that drivers in Britain and Northern Ireland are eligible for additional benefits and protections, including a minimum wage."
Me: trying to climb a tree to steal eggs
Blue goblin: waiting to murder me
🧹 👁 👄 👁
Queer (former) librarian living in SoCal. xe/xem/xyr. Old toots are deleted regularly.